Thursday, November 27, 2014

My Dad, Jimi Hendrix

Honoring James Marshall Hendrix, one of the greatest guitarists in all of history
November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970

photos courtesy rolling stone, Jim Marshall, and the red list

It feels like almost every time I introduce myself, someone brings up the fact that my last name is Hendrix, usually something along the lines of, "Oh my god, your last name is Hendrix? Like Jimi Hendrix?" And my response is always, "Yeah, he's my dad."

I'm not lying when I say it either. My dad was born James Hendrix, just like the legend, only my dad was born 16 years after Jimi. My grandparents really didn't realize at the time the weight of the decision they'd just made (their intentions were on naming their newborn baby after the brother of Jesus.) Regardless, the name stuck, Jimi rose to fame, and the name game has been passed down to me and my brothers. 

I've always felt a sense of loyalty to Jimi, considering that he's essentially family. I've had countless Jimi Hendrix tee shirts over the years and I treasure my Experience vinyl. It's a great conversation starter, too ("Oh, you like Purple Haze? Yeah, that's my dad.")

Listening to anything by artists who have since died is always a wonderful and weird experience- simultaneously nostalgic and eerie. It's strange to think what could've been. Especially in the case of Jimi, how much more music could he have made? How many more artists could he have inspired? How many more years could he have had? It's all speculation, of course, but it leaves a hole in my heart to think of it. 

Here's to Jimi Hendrix, one of the most influential and talented musicians of all time. Happy 72nd Birthday. Rest easy.

// Castles Made of Sand //


xx. Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment