Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Dreaming My Life Away


November 6, 2014 // A&R Music Bar in Columbus, Ohio

One of my favorite things is getting to see an artist evolve. Getting to witness an act move from an opener to a headliner tour is such an awesome thing. This year I've been fortunate enough to see that happen witJames Keogh, better know by his stage name Vance Joy. From opening for Young The Giant, to playing the This Tent at Bonnaroo, to finally headlining his own tour, Vance Joy is clearly making his way.

Keogh opened with one of my favorite songs off his EP God Loves You When You're Dancing, "Emmylou", directly followed by one of my favorite songs off his debut album Dream Your Life Away, "Red Eye". Good start thus far. At this point, he pulled out the ukulele to perform "Play With Fire". I started learning how to play the ukulele right around the time that I discovered Vance Joy, so I love me some ukulele.

Vance Joy's setlist had the perfect mix of ballads, like "Georgia" and "Best That I Can", and folky upbeat songs, like "Who Am I" and "Mess Is Mine". With falsettos to make all women and men alike swoon and the kind of genuine quality to his songs that people crave, this man is a perfect performer package. (I went to this concert with my mom- one of my best concert companions- and we were both feeling some kind of way by the end.)

While I've never performed live, I'm sure there are few greater feelings than taking a step back from the mic and hearing the audience sing your song without you. During "Riptide", you could see the satisfaction on his face to hear the crowd doing just that.

I would've gladly sat and listened to Vance Joy sing a grocery list for another hour, but unfortunately the show had to come to an end. I think it's safe to say that Vance Joy's career will only continue to grow over the next few years. I fully expect him to keep cranking out chart toppers in the near future. Most recently he announced that he will be opening for Taylor Swift on her world tour next year. Consider me stoked.

xx. Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment